By Kevin Leahy
One of the most dynamic and rewarding programs offered for existing businesses in our region is our signature “Clatsop Community College Small Business Development Center Small Business Management Program”, a program the college has offered since 1979.
What is this program? It is a ten month program for established business owners in which YOUR business is the textbook. SBM covers management topics through a customized curriculum, helping you identify and prioritize outcomes and devise a plan to achieve them.
The program is built to suit all learning styles. It is designed for business people, not academics.
There are three ways to help you learn:
- Classroom sessions that are a combination of instructor-led learning along with discussion. These cohort/group sessions are held one day a month for three hours at our Seaside CCC South County Center.
- Monthly one-on-one coaching sessions with a business advisor providing you with a personal and confidential business consultant whose only goal is to see your business succeed.
The session is held one day a month at your business where you and the advisor roll up your sleeves and review critical issues pertaining to your business, and set a game plan in place.
- Opportunity to network with other business owners and learn from your peers. As we have seen from our sessions, it is energizing to be sitting with other business owners who may have nothing to do with your business, but have the same issues every business has to deal with, from cash flow to payroll, employee discipline and turnover, marketing, and so on.
The actual sessions are broken down into three main “pillars”: Sales & Marketing, Finance & Accounting, and Operational Management, and curriculum and instructional materials include “hands-on” exercises that are educational and fun at the same time.
Note there is a cost to this class, which at $695 over the period of all the classroom session and advising sessions at the business equates to an hourly rate of about $14.00 per hour. Some private consultants charge over $100 an hour.
Is this the program for you? Here are some critical things to think about:
- Are you a “for-profit” business owner or manager?
- Actively involved in the business?
- Are you willing to commit time each month to attend classes, prepare for the one-on-one visits, and be actively engaged? (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.)
- Want to develop yourself as a life-long learner?
- Are you willing to accept and try new ideas?
- Do you want to increase your business skills and grow your business?
- Are you prepared to put what you learn into action, and see the positive results materialize?
Contact us and we will give you more details, and also connect you with businesses that have gone through the program to get “real world” feedback from a business in the program.
Note our CCC SBDC was honored with the SBA District 10 “2015 Excellence & Innovation Award” that includes the states of Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. We take this designation very seriously and are committed to strong training programs like the CCC SBDC Small Business Management program for our Clatsop County business community.
This will be one of the most important things you can ever do for your business. Apply now by contacting our office at 503-338-2402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for the application form.
You can also contact myself or Small Business program advisors David Reid, Bill Musemeche or Mark Redwine for more details.
Space is limited. Classes will start on September 2nd so don’t delay.